Under my humanness.
- Deciding to wear a fabric belt from a dress as a bracelet. A fashion risk everyone should take. In 1994.
- Conversation with a patient over the phone:
Patient: No, it's spelled E-L-O-N, and it's 'mister', actually.
- Reaching the age where foot powder is necessary. All the better if it's "cooling and refreshing".
- Watching an interview with Dave Grohl and realizing he and I have pretty much the same hair style.
- Walking Alice in a ratty sweatshirt, funky scarf, sweaty post-run hair, major VPL under my running tights, and a cup--not a travel mug, but the ceramic cup--of coffee. Serving up some 6am hot realness.
- Whatever I am doing in this photograph. In bowling shoes, no less.
- D.R. recognizing that a couple hours of organizing and cleaning will set me right again when the world seems to want nothing more than to keep me off kilter.
- A conversation with one of my doctors that was longer than all of our previous conversations combined. We covered his childhood, how he met his wife, his thoughts on the current state of medicine and World War II. I'm always honored to hear other people's stories.
- George Jones. Anytime. If my toe ain't tappin' to "Honky Tonk Song", then I know I am way too far in my head.
- Taking note from D.R.'s sister who--out of nowhere, and very genuinely--told me I was beautiful. We need more random and genuine compliments. They lift so high with such little effort.
- First day of spring in California.
- Discovering maple syrup makes a great sweetener for coffee. Just ask Buddy the Elf.
- Any opportunity to say, "This ain't my first rodeo."