Monday, April 2, 2012

Gaffes and Gratitudes

Still cultivating that gratitude . . . with the gaffes right on my tail.

gaffes
  • Buying a tub of Trader Joe's peanut butter cups for "special treats" and "to share" and "to use for baking".  Then, D.R. and I blacked out.  We woke up with fistfuls of pleated brown wrappers.  You can prove nothing. 
  • Being of the age when the number of glasses of wine consumed directly correlates to the number of hours napped.
  • Having my boss call me out on a word I've been misusing for--oh, about a decade.  I tried arguing my logic . . . with my boss . . . the M.D. with a matching Ph.D.  I lost.  Proud of my college education that day.
  • Failing to wash my face or brush my teeth for three nights in a row.  Not great for my skin or teeth, but at least D.R. had a vision to wake up to. 
  • The moment I realize my contribution to the conversation ended about 7.5 seconds ago.  Now I'm hovering . . . j u u u u u u u u s t  hovering.  It happens more times than I'd like to admit. 
  • My pantyhose waistband rolling down and violently unleashing the Belly Beast.  It's never not sexy.
gratitudes

  • The rainy early morning run that filled me with peace and accomplishment and left no room for frustration in my day.
  • The lovely friend that challenges me and makes me ask myself Is that all you can do?  As Gina Barreca says, "Lorelei Lee got it wrong in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: It's not diamonds that are a girl's best friend, but your best friends who are your diamonds.  It's your best friends who are supremely resilient, made under pressure, and of astonishing value.  They're everlasting; they can cut glass."   
  • When I can extend my washed hair 2-3 days.  It may be funky but those up-dos hold really well.
  • Seeing my "site visits" number go up.  Thanks for reading, peeps!
  • D.R. bringing me flowers . . . because it's Tuesday.
  • Having two different conversations with married men who spoke so highly of their wives -- as partners, as professionals, as mothers.  We need more of these men in the world.  We need our daughters around these men so they know what a real man looks and sounds like.  
  • That my dad still finds ways to show he's hanging out with me . . . watching over me.
  • Fence hunting at the dog park. 
    Puppy butts.

    1 comment: