Still cultivating that gratitude . . . with the gaffes right on my tail.
- Buying a tub of Trader Joe's peanut butter cups for "special treats" and "to share" and "to use for baking". Then, D.R. and I blacked out. We woke up with fistfuls of pleated brown wrappers. You can prove nothing.
- Being of the age when the number of glasses of wine consumed directly correlates to the number of hours napped.
- Having my boss call me out on a word I've been misusing for--oh, about a decade. I tried arguing my logic . . . with my boss . . . the M.D. with a matching Ph.D. I lost. Proud of my college education that day.
- Failing to wash my face or brush my teeth for three nights in a row. Not great for my skin or teeth, but at least D.R. had a vision to wake up to.
- The moment I realize my contribution to the conversation ended about 7.5 seconds ago. Now I'm hovering . . . j u u u u u u u u s t hovering. It happens more times than I'd like to admit.
- My pantyhose waistband rolling down and violently unleashing the Belly Beast. It's never not sexy.
- The rainy early morning run that filled me with peace and accomplishment and left no room for frustration in my day.
- The lovely friend that challenges me and makes me ask myself Is that all you can do? As Gina Barreca says, "Lorelei Lee got it wrong in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: It's not diamonds that are a girl's best friend, but your best friends who are your diamonds. It's your best friends who are supremely resilient, made under pressure, and of astonishing value. They're everlasting; they can cut glass."
- When I can extend my washed hair 2-3 days. It may be funky but those up-dos hold really well.
- Seeing my "site visits" number go up. Thanks for reading, peeps!
- D.R. bringing me flowers . . . because it's Tuesday.
- Having two different conversations with married men who spoke so highly of their wives -- as partners, as professionals, as mothers. We need more of these men in the world. We need our daughters around these men so they know what a real man looks and sounds like.
- That my dad still finds ways to show he's hanging out with me . . . watching over me.
- Fence hunting at the dog park.